13 year old interested in Forensic Firearms Identification

13 year old interested in Forensic Firearms Identification

Mellex
Hi - we have a 13 year old very interested in firearms identification. Supplies are pretty expensive (like cutaway barrels, bullet ID kits, etc). Looking for ways for him to explore/learn. Been trying to get him into a lab but our State Police (we are in MA) say no tours anymore, FBI referred us to State and local police (our town is small, nothing there)..I'm going to try CT forensic science labs since they are civilian...any other suggestions??

Thanks!

Re: 13 year old interested in Forensic Firearms Identification

Mellex —

There are several articles on the Crime Scene Investigator Network that would be good resources for you. They are at http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi-articles.html#7.

One link there is a link to free on-line Firearm Examiner Training (http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/firearm-examiner-training.html). Information addressed in this interactive training program is delivered in fourteen modules, including topics such as firearms history, manufacturing, ammunition, firearms and projectiles examination, evidence collection, gunshot residue, bullet comparisons and toolmarks.

Best wishes as you learn about a fantastic career.

— Steve