1950 Crime Scene Investigator

kristiambrose
I just found this forum when looking for some information on procedures for the 1950s.  Not sure if anyone can help me, but I registered anyway.  I am looking for information on procedures (how it was done back then, what kind of test results they had then, clean up, any equipment used) because I am writing a detective book placed in the 50s.  While this IS a fiction story, I would still like to make sure I get specific aspects correct.  I think that's important.

If anyone has any information for me or any websites, articles other forums I can check out - your help would be appreciated.

Re: 1950 Crime Scene Investigator

kristiambrose
Wow.  2 views.  Really?  I guess this forum is not very active.

Thanks anyway.
Liz

Re: 1950 Crime Scene Investigator

Liz
I don't know much about the 1950s crime scene investigator, I do know that not much was done in terms of protecting evidence. It wasn't until the OJ Simpson case where detectives began using latex gloves to collect evidence, or even began being cautious of where they were stepping (in blood or evidence tracking it all over the scene). I also know technology was no where near where it is now, in terms of DNA processing (which is also a new technique as of the 1980s I believe). Also fingerprint comparisons are a new technique, not frequently used prior to the 1990s.
Sorry that this is all I could give you. I hope it helps.