20 year passion.... is it worth it and what does it look like?

Posted by ash101883 ash101883
For the last 20 years I have really wanted to get into the criminal justice system mainly focusing on crime scene investigating. Recently I found out that most CSI start as police officers and progress in the field and that is really not what I am looking for. Honestly, I’m not even 100% sure exactly what I want to do. I recently started school to get my bachelors in criminal justice and had to withdraw due to financial aid issues. I stumbled upon this forum and I would like anybody and everybody’s views on how hard it is to get into the field and what it is actually like once you are there.

K K

Re: 20 year passion.... is it worth it and what does it look like?

Crime Scene Investigators actually vary by state. While most of the north east requires a CSI to be a police officer, other states, such as Florida do not. If you have no experience, finding a 4 year bachelor program that has an internship program to graduate is your best bet. Most civilian CSIs get a job offer from an organization they intern with.
Kelsey Kelsey

Re: 20 year passion.... is it worth it and what does it look like?

If your passion is to become a crime scene investigator/technician/analyst I would suggest applying to any job posting even if it is out of your home state. I applied to a handful of agencies that would hire civilians technicians in Florida, Arizona, and Louisiana. I received a job offer a year after the application date.
Most agencies will require experience in the field or at least a bachelors in forensic science/biology/chemistry. My bachelors is in criminal justice so my options were limited but now are more open with my experience on the job and furthering my education with a master's in forensics.
I have seen a few job postings that did not require a bachelors degree and only a high school diploma, this might be the best bet to start off your career but expect a lower salary than average and the department to not be as advanced in crime scene procedures.
Hope this helps!