A couple questions about becoming a CSI

pistolpete333
So i have a few questions about becoming a CSI

First question is, would it be better to become a police officer and then got to school, or the other way around, or does it even matter?  My current plan is to go to school and get a 4 year degree.  After this I will be 23 and would join the police academy, be a police officer for however long it takes, and then hopefully move to be a crime scene investigator.  Does this sound like a good plan?

Also, as for the degree, the college I am currently looking at offers a chemistry major with a focus on forensic science.  Now I have read that forensics degrees are sometimes not looked on to highly, so I am also considering just getting a degree in biochemistry.  Which do you think would be better?  I feel that if forensics doesn't work out, a degree in biochemistry would be nice salary to fall back on but I don't know.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advanced for any help you can give me!

Re: A couple questions about becoming a CSI

Wynter
I currently am trying to get a job as a crime scene investigator. From the people I have talked to, it is best to go into the profession as a civilian then going the academy way. If you go through the academy, you have to jump through all the hoops like working patrol for a certain period of time then graveyard, etc. I have come across a lot of positions that are just civilian crime scene investigators. I would definately go for the degree in a science. I have a bachelor's in criminal justice and am finding most positions want a degree in a science; so I will probably be headed back to school soon. Hope this helps, good luck!

Re: A couple questions about becoming a CSI

kiara
how many test to do you have to take to become a csi