A little confused?

MichaelB1
In my online search of schools for CSI type training/education, I have one hang up.  What is the purpose of having unrelated(I guess) type studies, like Business admin or the like.  That's what killed my the first time I went to college and never got to the core of the studies.

Can someone explain this to me.

Michael

Re: A little confused?

MichaelB1
After thinking about my last post I guess I need to clarify.  Are  there courses that you can take to
have the training to process a crime scene..the techniques etc..without a major degree.

Re: A little confused?

chrissy75
Not that I can think of. You need a degree in order to be able to get a career in that field. But if you're lucky to find a CSI lab in your area that does apprenticeships, then that is basically the same as on the job training without a degree.

The reason  you need the other courses is to fill in the time between your major learning and the fact that when you're in career life, you have to know math, english, how to speak to people properly, basic business management and people skills. This is all something you need to know in any field of study.

You can't just expect to go to a crime scene without some other knowledge, because you have to know proper grammar because when you're in CSI, you will asked to appear in court to state the evidence to the crime committed, so CSI is not just all about processing a crime scene. There is much more to it.
chrissy j.l.

Re: A little confused?

chrissy75
I'm getting a 2 year associates in CSI and my classes involve: algebra, english, crime scene dynamics I and II, Biological Evidence I and II, computer class,  interpersonal communication, strategies for success.

all those and a few more i have to take later this year are all crucial to the CSI field. So, yes they are relevant.
chrissy j.l.

Re: A little confused?

Michael--

Actually, there are a few.

One is the Crime Scene Investigation Certificate program at the University of California. They also have a Crime Scene Investigation Summer Academy where you can get the CSI certificate in five weeks. People from all over the United States and Canada attend the Summer Academy. The certificate program is not a degree program, but many agencies have hired people with this certificate.

If the agency you want to apply to requires a degree, then you will need to take all the other courses required by the college and university to earn that degree.

MichaelB1 wrote
... Are there courses that you can take to have the training to process a crime scene..the techniques etc..without a major degree?

--Steve

Re: A little confused?

MichaelB1
This post was updated on .
Not to disagree with you Chrissy, I have already testified in court several times for my current
job, without a degree.  It wasn't a complicated thing with diagrams or anything.

I am looking to get out of the job I have without putting myself into a bigger hole then I am in now.

Re: A little confused?

MichaelB1
This sounds like what I'm looking for, but I don't live in CA .  Maybe with a bit more searching I can find something in SC(where I am in)

Re: A little confused?

bamadawg
Hello Michael, Tallahassee Community College has both the Crime Scene Investigation certificate and the Associate of Science degree available.  I know they also have many online classes, though I am not sure what classes are available.  The majority of the professors for this degree are current and/or past Florida Department of Law Enforcement employees.  After graduating from Florida State University with a degree in Anthropology, I went to Tallahassee Community College and recieved my degree in Crime Scene Investigation.  I am currently fulfilling the requirements to sit for the test to become a nationally certified Medico-Legal Death Investigator through ABMDI.  I hope this helps.