Active Duty Navy to Crime Scene Investigation

Posted by SBKelley SBKelley
I am currently an active duty member of the United States Navy and have recently been given the opportunity to separate after 2 years of service.  I desperatly want to get into the field of criminal/crime scene investigation but I'm afraid that taking this opportunity will close that door for me.  Would that kill my dream??  My separation would be considered administrative under honorable conditions, but stress related.  I know that to become a detective (which I also really want to do) you have to be a police officer first.  Is the same true for criminal and/or crime scene investigation??  I don't like the military at all which is why I've been given this opportunity, but I don't have a degree to jump directly into the field either.  Does anyone have any advice or answers for me?

Sara Staggs Sara Staggs

Re: Active Duty Navy to Crime Scene Investigation

I couldn't tell you how your seperation would be viewed, but the answer to whether or not you have to be a sworn officer to become a crime scene investigator is no.  Here is the link for becoming a CSI: http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/becomeone.html.  Of course requirements can vary by employer, so if you have a specific employer in mind be sure to check with them to see what they will require to be hired in your desired field.
NFA_23 NFA_23

Re: Active Duty Navy to Crime Scene Investigation

I hate to say it, but I think you will have problems. I cannot say that with certainity, of course. But it is hard for me to imagine how you can explain your seperation in a way that sounds good. They will want to know about anything that is not an "honorable discharge". And the way you described it here (administrative under honorable conditions, but stress related) makes it sound like you could not handle the stress of the military. Having been in the military (I was in the Marine Corps as a grunt), I can't imagine how you could not handle stress in the military, but handle it as a street cop or CSI. If you are not a certified officer but work as a CSI at scenes that are not hostile (which I don't think really exist, but if they did...), you would still have to deal with the stress of working cases that need to be solved, dealing with lawyers and courts, and a hundred other things that are stressful in the this career.

By my experience (12 years in Law Enforcement, but all of it at one agency), when I think about all the officers that I know, about 1/3 have military experience, 1/3 have a college degree, and the other 1/3 had neither. So, personally, I think the odds of you getting a job someplace where they would not understand the difference between "honorable discharge" and anything else is slim. Don't forget that they will also check your references, and even if you don't list somebody in the Navy, they will find someone that knows about your situation.

The other bad part for you is that due to the poor economy, their are a lot of job applicants putting for LE jobs. That means that agenices can be far more picky than they are when the economy is goood, and their are lots of LE positions available.