Advice for a soon to be Investigator

bjwelch17
Hello all! Really excited to be a part of this forum. So, I graduate from UWyo in December with my Bachelors  Degree in Criminal Justice. When I started my college career, I had a forensic science focus, but second semester of my freshman year, I took both chemistry and biology, along with 5 credit algebra and trig class that was 5 days a week for 2 hours a day, and worked 50 hours a week on over night shifts. long story short, I flunked that semester and because of an adviser who told me if I couldn't handle that, I wouldn't be able to be a CSI, I dropped the forensic focus. That adviser no longer even works at the school, and as I took more classes, I realized my issue was more time management than it was not being good at lab. I retook classes and bumped all of the grades up to C's and Chemistry to an A. But, by the time I did this, the forensic focus was dropped from the college for lack of funding.

I have wanted to be a CSI since I was little, and really beat myself up for listening to that awful adviser. My main questions are with what I should do next. Should I just apply for CSI positions with the BA, get a certificate or masters in forensics, or apply for entry level lab positions so I get lab experience? My current, although tentative, plan is to apply to CSI positions for 6 months after graduation and if I don't get any offers, go back to school.

I would really appreciate advice, and I am sorry that this post is not up to the caliber of the other posts.

Re: Advice for a soon to be Investigator

bjwelch17 —

You could consider getting a specialized training in Crime Scene Investigations. There are programs that focus just on Crime Scene Investigations. One such program is the Crime Scene Investigation Certificate Program offered at the University of California. They have Winter and Summer Academys in which you can receive specialized training in Crime Scene Investigations and receive a certificate upon successful completion of the program. The Winter Academy starts in February each year and runs for five weeks. The Summer Academy starts in June. People come from all over the United States for the five week training. Having your BA is good, but a certificate for more specialized training will make you more marketable. Here is the link for information about the program.