Hello,

I am currently a senior about to graduate with a bachelors degree in criminal justice, with a concentration in investigative services. I am looking for any advice or tips on gaining employment in the field of crime scene investigation. I was accepted into a masters program in forensic technology, but have not made a decision yet due to student loans. I'm not sure if I should get my masters now, or just keep applying for jobs hoping I get hired. I would like to begin working ASAP, but even with the entry-level jobs there are experience requirements. If anyone has any insight or advice on options for someone coming straight out of college with a bachelors degree, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jv56101 Jv56101

Re: Advice

I was hired by a department in the midwest in 2017, about 6 months after graduating college with my Bachelors degree in Forensic Science. My best advice is to apply, apply, apply! I applied for over 90 jobs for about a year leading up to my graduation so it does take time. If you don't have restrictions as to where you want to work/live, that helps because then you can apply for every place possible. Also, apply even if you don't think you fully meet the requirements. It never hurts to try because they might be flexible with who they consider and bring to the next step of the process.

It also depends on what you are looking for exactly too. CSI/Evidence Technician jobs seem to be always hiring in the south and west and most require a bachelor's degree. Some do require experience which is a bit frustrating for sure because how is one going to get experience if you can't get a job to get that experience?!

If there are internships available that you can do, I highly recommend doing that. I think it was one thing that really helped me stick out amongst other candidates.

Hope this helps!