Already have BA and MPA not in Forensics...want to make a switch

Already have BA and MPA not in Forensics...want to make a switch

Marie
I am in my mid 30's and want to make a career change into forensics.  I don't have a degree in any science field (social science for me); however, I am interested in other areas in forensics, the problem is how do I start over since I already have a Graduate degree (Public Administration).  I didn't know if taking so many units at a community college or an online cert program would be good enough.  I am not looking to be blood spatter expert or work in the lab, but I took a class in homicide in Grad School and fell in love with it.  I have also worked in Child Welfare and Adult Protective Services, so I have a passion for helping victims of crime.  Any advice would be great!

Re: Already have BA and MPA not in Forensics...want to make a switch

Marie—

I suggest you look at the following page: How to Become a Crime Scene Investigator. It should give you an idea of what you need to do to become a CSI or Forensic Scientist.

Also, there are over 500 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs. Look through the job announcements to see what employers require.

Since you have degrees that don't really match up with the job you want, you should consider an online or campus-based certificate or degree. You probably need a little more training to stand out from all the other applicants competing for a CSI job.

You could attend a Crime Scene Investigation Certificate Program to receive CSI specific training. One such program is the Crime Scene Investigation Summer Certificate offered at the University of California in Riverside, California. The summer program runs from July 7 through August 8, 2014. (The University has resources for housing for out of town students.) I teach in the program and believe it is one of the best programs of its kind. We have had students from all over the United States. Many who have received the CSI Certificate have been successful in becoming employed as a CSI.

http://www.extension.ucr.edu/academics/summer/crime_scene.html