Author Question

worr199
Hello,

I am an aspiring author working on my first novel. My question is how would a forensics team open a sealed envelope containing a letter that a criminal would send to taunt police?

Re: Author Question

Anonymous
Carefully.

Re: Author Question

CSIchick
The letter could be placed in a freezer for approx 1 hr. This allows the envelope to be easily opened without damage. Prior to placing into the freezer, all Questioned Document departmental work should be completed.
MW

Re: Author Question

MW
Good answer :-)
MW

Re: Author Question

MW
to do anything you need to know what you are hoping to achieve, what kind of evidence are you looking for. For example, if you were not concerned about DNA/fingerprints, but wanted to compare handwriting you'd just open it. Start off with how serious the "crime" is, how the letter arrived, what your fictional team are hoping to achieve.