Basic questions?

Worries
I would really like to do more field work than anything, like collecting the evidence at a scene. I would like to piece it together at the lab as well. And I would also like to be able to carry a firearm because I would like to work in a highly populated area.

Am I looking into the right career as a CSI? Or does this sound more like a detective?

Re: Basic questions?

Adam
Many metro areas, such as Las Vegas, allow their civilian CSIs to carry firearms. However, there would be much lab work involved in being a crime scene person.

Re: Basic questions?

Dave
So, which do you want to do?  Be a cop or a CSI?   If being able to say "I carry a gun" is important to you then maybe you should just be a cop.  If the desire to solve crime, look at fingerprints, work crime scenes is what you want....then be a CSI and don;t worry about whether you carry a gun or not.

Re: Basic questions?

CSIs document crime scenes and collect evidence. Often they are civilian employees. Some agencies allow their civilian CSIs to carry firearms.

Detectives investigate crimes and arrest people. They have to be sworn officers and go through a lengthy academy and work the street as patrol officers before they become Detectives.

Worries wrote

I would really like to do more field work than anything, like collecting the evidence at a scene. I would like to piece it together at the lab as well. And I would also like to be able to carry a firearm because I would like to work in a highly populated area.

Am I looking into the right career as a CSI? Or does this sound more like a detective?

--Steve