Becoming a CSI in the USA

Anton
Hi, I'm a 17 year old h/s student from South Africa. I am planning on becoming a C.S.I after I complete my PhD in Chemistry, but I would like to go work in America after my studies are completed. I would like to know if it is possible for a non-US citizen to become a C.S.I in the US? Would I have to apply for a Green Card before I apply for a job, would the Police Department where I apply do the application for a Green Card? Any other information that could apply to my situation?