Hi there, i am an active duty military member and when i get out i would like to peruse a career in Criminal Investigation. I would like to work out in the field and be more hands on rather than working in an office doing the paper work. My question is what would be the job title i should look for to work in the field and also what would be a good major to achieve to reach this goal in my life. I am still young so i have time to go to college and do what i need to do. This is something i am very much passionate about, i would really love to hear responses from people who are working to get to this same line of work or those who have already gotten there.

Thank You.

Khloegurl Khloegurl

Re: Becoming a CSI

Hello..
I have read your post and really recommend that you major in science or criminal justice to greater your chances for this career.  Since you are active in the military, I would seek applying for an MP just to gain experience because most agencies look for this.  I personally have no experience in criminal justice but have a crime scene tech license and an Associate's degree in Science for Criminal Investigations and have yet found a position.  I have learned that most states required a police background for consideration for the job, in addition to a Bachelor's degree.  Volunteer work also helps you obtain experience.  I hope I have been helpful, and I wish you the best in your future!

Sara Staggs Sara Staggs

Re: Becoming a CSI

Here is the link to our Employment Page : http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/employment.html

I recommend looking through the current and expired job announcements to get a feel for all the different positions out there and what is required to apply for those jobs.  That should help you get a better idea about what specific job you would like to do.

Also, it depends on the individual agency as to whether or not they hire civilians or sworn officers for some of the positions.

Once you get a sense of what direction you'd like to go, there are many educational programs offered out there, so take a look at the Colleges and Training Page : http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi-training.html

Hope that gets you started!