Becoming a Crome Scene Investigator

Posted by Vicky Vicky
I am looking into becoming a crime scene investigator, but am wondering what schooling I should do to get there. I want to work as police officer first and then go from there, but I want some university behind me. I have heard people say to take the police studies program, but have also heard a degree in psychology and criminology is helpful. Im just wondering which would be best...if any.

fermin fermin

Re: Becoming a Crome Scene Investigator

Get a CJ degree
Sara Staggs Sara Staggs

Re: Becoming a Crome Scene Investigator

Hello Vicky,

A great place to start is to read the How to Become a CSI page: http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/becomeone.html

Hopefully that will give you an idea of the different options you have.  The type of degree you get can really help you get into different fields of forensics.  You can get a 4 year degree in a hard science such as biology or chemistry, and that would be great for getting you into a Forensic Scientist position.  Or you could get a Criminal Justice degree if you want to combine it with your future police officer experience to become a detective.  Also you could get a degree in Crime Scene Investigation if you know that you want to work out in the field.  These are only a few of your many options!

Have a look at our Colleges & Training page (http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi-training.html) to see a list of the programs for education that are out there.  It is divided into online and campus based programs.  The campus based programs are further divided into states to help you choose a location.

Good luck!
donpenven donpenven

Re: Becoming a Crome Scene Investigator

Hi Vickie: You have a number of avenues open to you. many colleges now offer on-line CJ degrees as well as residency. If you get the CJ degree first, you have a better chance of getting into a Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) program.

donpenven