Becoming a crime scene investigator

Posted by Michael west Michael west
I am 16 years old and currently living in Southern California. I am looking at a career as a crime scene investigator. What should i do?

Torian Fletcher Torian Fletcher

Re: Becoming a crime scene investigator

go to a college university or community college and sign up to get a degree in criminal justice,or forensic science...
Torian Fletcher Torian Fletcher

Re: Becoming a crime scene investigator

then after u do that...go apply at any police station u want and ask for a job for csi...there are two types a sworn officer csi,which mean you will be a certified csi cop w/ authority and the power to arrest and carry a gun..then u have a civilian csi which u dont have no law power u just work.and get paid less than the opposite
Michael west Michael west

Re: Becoming a crime scene investigator

i do plan to go to college or a university but i just need to know what i can do right now as i am in high school to prepare me for this career
Wilson CSI Wilson CSI

Re: Becoming a crime scene investigator

My suggestion after watching countless people try to get jobs.  Get a hard science degree.  Biology, Chemistry, etc... You can minor in criminal justice if you want.  Do not get a "CSI" degree.  I have seen many many young people get a CSI degree and not get hired.  But I have seen many with a Science Degree and get picked right up.

Yes there are sworn and civilian CSI jobs.  Each with their pros and cons.  Sworn CSI do get to carry a gun and get some extra benefits.  But it is very, very, very, very hard to go right into crime scene.  You will end up working the streets for a couple of years or more to pay your dues.  Then have to wait for an opening in the unit and request transfer and hope you get it.  Or you can try to go a crime lab for a sworn job but you better have a science degree for that.

Civilian is a growing field.  No they don't carry a gun but they have armed officers with them at scenes.  We may not get all the extra benefits but I can say we make pretty good money.
csipiet6806 csipiet6806

Re: Becoming a crime scene investigator

I am entering my final semester in college my degree is a BS in Criminal justice Administration. I have a minor in law enforcement and I have a certificate saying that I finished these specified course to be a Forensic Criminologist. Any advie in what I do from here. Next semester is my independant study class which is basically a thesis on what I want to do with my degree, But i have no clue where to start. My education has basically covered a little bit of everything for crime scene investigations and death investigations. I am in Shitty old Baltimore and the only thing that is hiring right now is for a latent print examinerII which i do not have any experience. The only thing good about this town is the high murder rate. So i will never run out of work. What I want to know is will my degree get me anywhere? I want to do crime scene investigation, eventually become a medical examiner but i need to go back to school for that, I know. Please help if you can.
Wilson CSI Wilson CSI

Re: Becoming a crime scene investigator

If you want to become a Medical Examiner you need to go back to school get a 4 year degree in a science then go to Med School.
Hotwired Hotwired

Re: Becoming a crime scene investigator

Something you could do right now... whilst still at school and before college, is take up photography, recording crime scenes accurately, and being familiar with the various cameras and formats available, and using digital cameras and videos will all be useful once you become a CSI, and also when applying for courses and jobs.

how much an hour do a civilan csi make
torian fletcher torian fletcher

Re: Becoming a crime scene investigator

do good in chemistry and biology...
Michael west Michael west

Re: Becoming a crime scene investigator

I do plan on getting a bachelors degree in a college or university. What is the best major i can get on my road to becoming a Crime scene investigator?