Becomming A CSI

Alyssa
Hello,
I am currently applying for universities and colleges but I had a question that I just wanted to make sure I was right about before making any final decisions. Would a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice or even Criminology with a few classes in forensics be enough to get admitted for a CSI job? Or is there something different I should be looking for?

Re: Becomming A CSI

Fiona Johnston
I think you might need more for this kind of work, chemistry and biology in A Level or if you are already at uni, change your courses. Go to your nearest cop shop and ask to speak to someone in CID if they are not too busy to get a low down on exactly what you need to qualify. I don't know where you live but a good major police station is the best starting point. All the very best in pursuing your career

Re: Becomming A CSI

Fiona Johnston
Bearing in mind the nature of the work which can be quite grim, I suggest you ask if there is an opportunity to shadow someone for a day or two, say during your school holidays. I have never worked in one but watching some of the programs like Silent Witness etc,has given me some idea. If you pass out at some of the gory scenes, may not be for you, perhaps do an archaeology course could be a starting point as well

Re: Becomming A CSI

Alyssa
Thank you so much! I am not in college yet I am just trying to prepare. :)

Re: Becomming A CSI

Alyssa
Thank you!!

Re: Becomming A CSI

Erika
You should obtain a bachelors degree in Biology or Chemistry Major. All of my coworkers have their Bachelors in either or.

Re: Becomming A CSI

CSI86
Several colleges now offer Forensics bachelor programs. West Virginia University has an excellent one as do a few other schools. There are a few things you need to consider...

Do you want to work in the field as a CSI? Major in forensics.
Do you want to work in a DNA lab, drug lab, or compare fingerprints? Go the natural science route.

These majors are completely different and it really depends on what you would like to do.