Bloodstain Pattern Analyst

Daniel Martinez
I already know that trigonometry and physics are required for BPA. But what are some other requirements needed for BPA with a police department? Any informational you can give me would be a great help.

Re: Bloodstain Pattern Analyst

Daniel Martinez
Or any information on Forensic Biology and requirements for qualifications, please.

Re: Bloodstain Pattern Analyst

I am afraid you maybe hard pressed to find a job as a Blood Spatter Analyst.   Most of us use blood spatter in our day to day job when needed.  Not something we do everyday or even once a month.  You may have luck at a very large agency or at the State / Federal Levels.

My only suggestion would be Biology degree or something like that.

Re: Bloodstain Pattern Analyst

Daniel—

Most agencies will provide additional training in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis (BPA) for a few or all of their crime scene investigators. The amount of training varies, but here in California the training usually starts with a 40 hour course. These training courses are usually only available for employed crime scene investigators, you usually can't get into these classes without being sent by an agency. After the 40 hours of training there is a period time (a number of cases) where you work along side another crime scene investigator experienced in BPA. At some point you become the CSI on a case who testifies in court about BPA, and become qualified as an expert witness.

That being said, it is possible to get training in BPA before being hired by an agency. Some colleges and universities have BPA courses or cover BPA in a an evidence class. For example, the University of California has a CSI certificate program and one of the electives is Blood Stain Pattern Analysis, a 20 hour course. The course is very good, but not as intense as one an agency would send a CSI to.

Another way to get BPA training would be to become a student member of the International Association for Identification and attend one of the annual Educational Conferences. They usually offer short classes and workshops on BPA at the conference.

Daniel Martinez wrote