CSI Training

snowdogx1
I am a 50 year old male desiring to make a career change into CSI, hopefully utilizing some of the skills I already have in video production. But I don't know where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can't afford a lot of time or money for new training considering my age.
TJ

Re: CSI Training

TJ
I'm not sure if your experience in video production would have many places in Crime Scene Investigations unless it dealt with computer forensics. There are agencies that have a digital forensics bureau but I have no clue where to point you into the right direction. Several of the members of our agency are certified/sworn deputies. A CSI position is very demanding. Constant crime scene to process, latent work, evidence processing, on call status 24/7, no holidays, numerous bodies in various states of decomposition, and can be a very technical position. Having a college bachelor's degree is almost a necessity in most places. Look at some of the job postings through the Crime Scene Investigator Network and it will give you an idea as to what type of degree you could look into. But the main thing for a CSI is the desire and passion for the job to deal with solving crimes and constant learning and training. If you have that desire then I would say get your degree or take forensic on line courses to see if you truly have the desire to continue to pursue a CSI position.

Re: CSI Training

snowdogx1—

I suggest you look at the following page: How to Become a Crime Scene Investigator. It should give you an idea of what you need to do to become a CSI or Forensic Scientist.

Also, there are over 500 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs. Look through the job announcements to see what employers require. You will find that many jobs require a degree, but some do not. Of course, you will be more completive if you have a degree.

snowdogx1 wrote