Can I take Biology instead of Forensics?

Can I take Biology instead of Forensics?

Nicole Calderon
Hey, I'm a high school senior and I'm starting to apply to some colleges. I would like to be a CSI but I'm wondering if instead of majoring in forensics (most of the colleges I'm applying to don't offer it) I could major in Biology. I just would like to know before I officially start applying to the colleges. Thank you in advance.

Re: Can I take Biology instead of Forensics?

Nicole—

It all depends on the agency you apply to. Many agencies prefer a BS in a natural science like Biology. If at some point you want to work in a crime laboratory you should probably get a BS in Biology, and it won't hurt you if you want to work in the field as a CSI.

There are over 250 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Look through the job listings to see what the different agencies require in education.

My advice is to decide where you want to work, find out what they require in education, and then get that level of education.