Can someone who is actually a CSI please answer this?

KF

Can someone who is actually a CSI please answer this?

KF
I just wanted to know the steps you took. For example, what kind of education did you get? Training?

Thank you,
KF

Re: Can someone who is actually a CSI please answer this?

Michelle Monroe
I have a 4 year degree in Forensic Investigations and an internship that helped me get hired.  Some places will hire without a degree but it's very far and few between that do nowadays. The more education the better. I was told to go for Bachelors and then wait to go for Masters. Some places will pay for you to go back. Hope this helps.

Re: Can someone who is actually a CSI please answer this?

TiffanyMarie21
Michelle,
I was curious if I could interview you I need to interview and actual CSI for an occupational study for my Parents As Scholars program and so far I am having no luck with finding someone to help me.

Thanks,
Tiffany
CSI

Re: Can someone who is actually a CSI please answer this?

CSI
Ok so here it is.

The field of forensics is very broad and there are several areas in which to specialize.  You first and formost will need a Bachelor's degree.  Now I DO NOT recommend getting a degree in criminal justice or forensics...Instead you want a degree in a physical science such as Biology or Chemistry.  You also want to take forensic classes however you do NOT want a criminal justice degree!  It also helps to have a Master's Degree.  Since you would have a bachelor's in a physical science it is now okay to Master in Forensics.

Here is what I did.

I went to a community college and got my Associates Degree in Arts and Sciences with several background classes in forensics.  I then pursued my Bachelors in Chemistry.  I did not get a Master's degree and still have yet to pursue that.  During undergrad I got an internship at the local crime lab set up by the school.  Upon graduation I applied to a TON of jobs...all denied for experience so I decided to get a second internship...I did another 6 months at a crime lab.

I then applied to numerous more jobs after completion of the second internship.  After applying to getting hired the entire process was about a year and a half.  From the time that I applied til the time that I got a phone call was a year, from that point to get through background and polygraph was about 6 months.  And mind you, the person that ended up hiring me was one of my previous internships!

If I had to do it over... I would NOT have gotten my Associates Degree.  I would have pursued my Master's instead.

Does this help?