Career Path Questions

HCaruso
Good Evening,
I am currently in my Junior year getting a bachelors in Criminal Justice-Police Emphasis, and this fall they are adding a new degree, a Forensic Science degree which focuses on crime scene processing, BSPA(Bloodstain Pattern Analysis) and all the good stuff, and my adviser told me that I can get my Bachelors of Arts in Criminal Justice and get a Bachelors of Science in Forensic Science.  So a dual degree instead of a dual major.  That's a good thing right?  My biggest dilemma, however, is how to go about getting a job.  I am wanting to investigate, and where I work I know like 4 different FBI Agents and I have 3 professors that are former FBI; one was part of the group that started DNA as a means to identify a person in a criminal case, one is like... the father of crime scene processing, and the other is a bomb expert type person, all these people are within my realm of knowledge.  So which avenue do I go to? FBI? but I want to do NCIS(Naval Criminal Investigative Service) too.  Both are very prestigious agencies but the problem is FBI requires a minimum of 3 years of experience because I have a diversified degree, and NCIS only requires a bachelors.  Any thoughts?  I need some advice from people to help decide for myself which I want to do.  Would a Masters help me out for FBI?  So many thoughts, I just want to be able to investigate, to help people and solve crimes.  There's so much to think about still and I've been thinking of all of this for like 6-7 years now.

Re: Career Path Questions

NFA_23
Wow. You've got a lot going for you. As far as NCIS goes, I do have a friend that worked the streets as a cop for about five years, then went to NCIS  for five or six, and is now with the FBI. I have not talked to him since he started with the FBI, so I don't really know what triggered his change. But, a few years ago, I talked to him and he was miserable with NCIS. He liked what he was doing, but was always gone from home. He spoke a foreign language fluently, and spent a lot of time in South America and  the middle east. It seems that most of his time was spent more on the "Intel" side of the Navy, then investigating crimes. He was frequently going to sea ports overseas prior to ships pulling in, and was there to do "threat-analysis" type stuff. I think he may have been more of an exception to what the NCIS guys do more than the rule though. I suggest you seek out some folks in NCIS to find out what they do on day to day/week to week basis.

I have never tried to work for the Feds. But I have had some experiences with their agents, and was really not that impressed. One problem  that they seem to have, in my opinion, is a little bit of a lack of direction in the current date times. Or maybe it would best be described as an identity crisis. For the longest time, they spent a good deal of time on criminal investigations, but since 9/11, they were told to focus on terrorism, but sometimes had to deal with domestic stuff. Now with BHO in office, they may be further confused at what they should focus on.

But, I think you are right in that the FBI is hard to get in to with no experience.

My suggestion is this... start on the streets with a big City. You'll get your feet wet with a wide variety of crimes and situations. If you really know your stuff, you could make it quickly into investigations, which would grant you more access to schools that would look good to the FBI.

Just let me warn,,,, if you interview with a city, don't mention that you are only there to get experience for the FBI...they will more than likely shut you out.

I would also warn you about trying to start a career with "too much education". Especially if you are trying to start at the bottom.

Re: Career Path Questions

Shannon Marie
Way to work it.
Get both, and never stop learning. The best never do. Apply with the FBI, you have some nifty references. As always write these people into the resume your starting to combine. If you don't have the names, dates, and numbers it never happened.
Keep good records on any awards, were you in the honors society, interned, ride along s etc,
Write it down,.. as the saying in the business goes its "Kick az now, take names later" But take names :)
GL, your on the right track!
Shannon Marie