Career change

Karen
Hello. I am currently a science teacher who has been excessed from my position. I hold a BS in biology and an MS in education. I am thinking of making a career change into forensic science, which I had considered doing as an undergrad. I have no experience as a forensic scientist but I do have some basic knowledge of it due to teaching a forensics class in a high school setting. I do however, have a strong background in biology. My question is, if I apply for forensics jobs, what chance do I stand of getting hired with my only experience being a teacher in comparison to someone who has a degree in forensic science? If anyone has any thoughts on  this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Re: Career change

Karen--

Actually, you are in a good position to be a Criminalist. Here is the educational requirement for the California Department of Justice Crime Lab:

Education: Equivalent to graduation from college with a major in one of the physical or biological sciences, including the equivalent of eight semester hours of general chemistry and three semester hours of quantitative analysis. Registration as a senior in a recognized institution will admit applicants to the examination but they must produce proof of graduation or its equivalent before they are eligible for appointment. Candidates who have graduated from college with a major in one of the physical or biological sciences, including the eight semester hours of general chemistry, but do not possess the three semester hours of quantitative analysis will be admitted to the examination, but they must produce proof of completion of the three semester hours of quantitative analysis before they are eligible for appointment.

Many state and local crime labs prefer someone with a BS degree in Biology. Most entry forensic positions require nothing more.

You can look at some of the current and past job positions on the Employment Page to see what different agencies require.

Karen wrote
Hello. I am currently a science teacher who has been excessed from my position. I hold a BS in biology and an MS in education. I am thinking of making a career change into forensic science, which I had considered doing as an undergrad. I have no experience as a forensic scientist but I do have some basic knowledge of it due to teaching a forensics class in a high school setting. I do however, have a strong background in biology. My question is, if I apply for forensics jobs, what chance do I stand of getting hired with my only experience being a teacher in comparison to someone who has a degree in forensic science? If anyone has any thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

--Steve

Re: Career change

Karen
Thanks for the response Steve! I have looked at some job postings and was happy to see that I could use my BS in bio to get a job in forensics. I just wasn't sure if my work experience as a teacher would be good or bad experience. Do you have any recommendations on how I should proceed forward? I live in NY btw...

Karen

Re: Career change

I don't know why your work experience could be a hinderance. At worst is could be nutral. At best you could be valuable after some time on the job to be a trainer of newly hired criminalists.

How to get started? Put together a good resume and start applying.

To notified of job openings as they are posted, follow us on Twitter: Follow Us on Twitter. We also post some of the new job openings in our monthly newsletter: subscribe to the newsletter.

Karen wrote
Thanks for the response Steve! I have looked at some job postings and was happy to see that I could use my BS in bio to get a job in forensics. I just wasn't sure if my work experience as a teacher would be good or bad experience. Do you have any recommendations on how I should proceed forward? I live in NY btw...

--Steve

Re: Career change

tjackson
 You already have BS degree, and now you need to do MSC in forensic science. After completing MSC you can easily get jobs in this field and always keep one thing in mind that experience is never bad for any job.