Civilian Crime scene tech/ evidence tech positions

Civilian Crime scene tech/ evidence tech positions

Kris perry
Hi,
I reside in Oxford, MA and am looking for a lead in locating civilian crime scene /evidence technician jobs. I currently have my Associates in Science in Criminal Justice and am a Senior (6 months away) from my Bachelors in Criminal Justice. I am having a hard time locating jobs that are open to those not already experienced. Any help would be appreciated.

Kristina Perry

Re: Civilian Crime scene tech/ evidence tech positions

Elizabeth
Just apply everywhere that you have the education requirements for. I started applying in Dec 2011 and got hired April 2013. It's going to be difficult, but just keep at it.

Re: Civilian Crime scene tech/ evidence tech positions

Kristina—

There are over 500 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs.

Here is a tip if you are having trouble getting a job: Apply for a "related" job, such as a Forensic Autopsy Technician, Evidence Custodian, Property Officer, Community Service Officer, etc. This can be a way to "get your foot in the door" or gain on-the-job experience that will help in getting the job you want later.

To get in this career field you may find you need to move to a different location to get an entry level job. But once you have worked a while in that entry level position you will have the experience required for other jobs.

Having a degree in Criminal Justice is good, but you probably need a little more training to stand out from all the other applicants competing for a CSI job.

You could attend a Crime Scene Investigation Certificate Program to receive CSI specific training. One such program is the Crime Scene Investigation Summer Certificate offered at the University of California in Riverside, California. The summer program runs from July 7 through August 8, 2014. (The University has resources for housing for out of town students.) I teach in the program and believe it is one of the best programs of its kind. We have had students from all over the United States. Many who have received the CSI Certificate have been successful in becoming employed as a CSI.

http://www.extension.ucr.edu/academics/summer/crime_scene.html

Other programs can be found at http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi-campusbasedschools.html

Kris perry wrote