Collecting Guns from water, preserving gun in watertight case with water in it.

Collecting Guns from water, preserving gun in watertight case with water in it.

jtyler1973
Hello!    Our State Police have requested that when we collect a gun from, for example, our river, that we keep the gun in the water, while placing it into a container that can hold the gun and water.  I have never heard of doing this, but I need some suggestions from someone familiar with this practice, and, what type of container could we use for handguns and long guns.    Thank you in advance!  Officer Tyler MPD

Re: Collecting Guns from water, preserving gun in watertight case with water in it.

Wilson CSI
Once that firearm comes in contact with the air it will begin to rust very quickly.     So keeping it in the water will keep it preserved until lab personnel can get it dried quickly.    We have used rubber maid containers or Tupperware for hand guns.  Rifles we used a Long piece of PVC piping with end caps to hold the water.

Re: Collecting Guns from water, preserving gun in watertight case with water in it.

jtyler1973
Makes sense!  We are going to put some 6" PVC tubes together tomorrow to give them a try. Thank you!

On Jul 19, 2017, at 6:29 AM, Wilson CSI [via Crime Scene Investigator Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Once that firearm comes in contact with the air it will begin to rust very quickly.     So keeping it in the water will keep it preserved until lab personnel can get it dried quickly.    We have used rubber maid containers or Tupperware for hand guns.  Rifles we used a Long piece of PVC piping with end caps to hold the water.

To unsubscribe from Collecting Guns from water, preserving gun in watertight case with water in it., click here.
NAML

Re: Collecting Guns from water, preserving gun in watertight case with water in it.

csidt1
I would not and do not teach this in any of my classes. It is much better suited to place the weapon (SAFE) in a container with inert gas. My opinion and I have been teaching since 2005.
Cheers

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM, jtyler1973 [via Crime Scene Investigator Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello!    Our State Police have requested that when we collect a gun from, for example, our river, that we keep the gun in the water, while placing it into a container that can hold the gun and water.  I have never heard of doing this, but I need some suggestions from someone familiar with this practice, and, what type of container could we use for handguns and long guns.    Thank you in advance!  Officer Tyler MPD

To unsubscribe from Crime Scene Investigator Forum, click here.
NAML

--

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.