Coming from the UK

Ryan
Hello all,

I am a penultimate year undergraduate from the University of Cambridge, UK, and will have completed a Bachelors and Masters in Chemistry once I graduate in 2015. I have pretty much settled upon a career in forensic science however the opportunities on this side of the pond are few and far between. What I like about the USA job market is that it seems to be filled with positions that allow for specific on the job training.

What I'd like to know is:

 - Does coming from another country disadvantage me in any way?
 - At what point should I be applying for jobs given that I want to be in employment this time next year?
 - Are any states particularly "lush" with jobs i.e. if I ended up not being able to get a job before I came over, where should I set up sticks.

Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Coming from the UK

Ryan—

It is definitely possible, but first you must have legal status to work in the United States.

To work as a non-permanent resident in the United States you would have to find an employer who will sponsor you for a temporary worker visa for a job opening they have. Since there are a lot of USA citizens applying for the CSI and forensic jobs, it will be difficult for you to get an agency to go to the trouble of sponsoring you unless you have a lot of experience or a speciality they really want. And most agencies want career employees, not temporary workers.

Another way to work legally in the United States would be to get a Green Card (Permanent Residence). It is possible to get a Green Card through a job offer. (You may be eligible to become a permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States. Most categories require an employer to get a labor certification and then file a Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, for you.)

Meanwhile, here is a listing of over 500 Crime Scene Investigator and Forensic Scientist jobs in the United States (the most complete listing on the internet).

We do have some international jobs posted on our International Job Opportunities page.

Re: Coming from the UK

Samtx
I'm in a similar situation except coming from Ireland. With regard to Visa I would be going over with my wife whose a teacher there's a program where she can get a transfer to an American school so.ybothet question is I have a degree in biotechnology and a degree in policing along with 6 years as a policeman in Ireland. Is this enough experience/qualifications to realistically get a job in crime scene investigation