Considering attending AIU

Rachel
Crime scene investigation has been a fascination of mine for a long time. It took me several years to realize this is what I want to do with my life. However, I have no intrest in joining the police force. I found a school in Houston Texas (AIU) which has an awesome criminal justice program and I am highly considering moving forward with the application process. What kind of job could I get with a degree in science in criminal justice? I've attended college in the past and I'm now 26 and know this is what I want to do. Do you have any advice for me as to what degree plan I should go for without having to join the police force so I can achieve my life goal? Any words of advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Considering attending AIU

Rachel—

When you say you have no interest in joining the police force I assume you mean you do not want to become a police officer. You just want to work as a Crime Scene Investigator.

Yes, you can work for a police department as a CSI without becoming a police officer. And it is possible to become a Crime Scene Investigator with a degree in Criminal Justice. It just depends on what the agency you apply for requires. Some agencies only require a high school education while others require a science degree. There are over 250 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs. Look through the job announcements to see what employers require. You will find that many jobs require a degree, but some do not. Of course, you will be more completive if you have a degree.

If you go to American International University in Houston I would recommend you consider the Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice: Specialization in Forensic Science degree program.

I suggest you look at the following page: How to Become a Crime Scene Investigator. It should give you an idea of what you need to do to become a CSI or Forensic Scientist.

Rachel wrote
Crime scene investigation has been a fascination of mine for a long time. It took me several years to realize this is what I want to do with my life. However, I have no intrest in joining the police force. I found a school in Houston Texas (AIU) which has an awesome criminal justice program and I am highly considering moving forward with the application process. ...

Re: Considering attending AIU

Rachel
Thank you very much for the information, Steve. Much appreciated.