Crime Scene Employees/Employers - Age a huge factor?

Crime Scene Employees/Employers - Age a huge factor?

csiShorty
I'm 20 years old and a graduate with an associates degree in crime scene. I've seen a few job openings looking for recent grads, but I'm wondering if they're looking for older applicants. The majority of my crime scene class was much older than myself, and while we all ended up with the same degree, I wanted to know if I would have a harder time getting hired because of my age. I'm talking about jobs as entry level/trainee/level 1 crime scene tech that require just an associates degree.

Re: Crime Scene Employees/Employers - Age a huge factor?

Michelle
csiShorty,

I am considered quite young in the field of forensic science being only 22 years old.  I have been working in the field for a little over a year.  I found that my age had been a postive attribute when applying for jobs.  Departments are impressed that at such a young age, I have been able to obtain a bachelor's degree in my field.  I believe other agencies will feel the same about you.

Some agenciess have an age requirement, such as 21 years old; however this may vary by department.  You should not be prohibited from obtaining entry level jobs that do not require any field experience.  Clearly, it is important to act mature during the application phase and especially during the interview.

Good luck with your job search and I hope you will enjoy this field as much as I do.

Re: Crime Scene Employees/Employers - Age a huge factor?

wal1809
I don't wish to discourage you, I wish to tell the truth.  You would have to be damn good for me to hire or recommend at such a young age.  You might not understand it now but you will after a 20 year career.  I say keep going and get as much experience as possible.  When I came into the police world in the 1980s you could barely beg a job.  I had to put my first year in as a reserve (worked for free).  I then had to go to a small town and work for $15,000 total a year.  I qualified for food stamps.  I slowly worked my way to the top by paying hard dues.  I bumped my butt like a frog trying to get into the business.  It takes time and a lot of dedication.