Crime Scene Investigation/Medicolegal Death Investigator

Crime Scene Investigation/Medicolegal Death Investigator

gradman88
Hello All,

i am currently seeking my masters in forensics and public safety. The ultimate goal is to become a crime scene investigator or medicolegal death investigator but honestly i do not know what other steps i can take to advance my career? Looking to leave the chicago area once i finish my masters degree. Are there any certifications that I can obtain to help or possible internships?  Any information would be very helpful?
Liz

Re: Crime Scene Investigation/Medicolegal Death Investigator

Liz
Internships will help. As for certifications, you usually have to have worked X amount of years before you can get one, a good one anyway. Knowing you want to leave Chicago is probably good; I had to move 2000 miles away for my first job because there was nothing closer. Get experience, anything you can. Departments won't hire you with out experience, but you can't get experience without being hired. So, internships, job shadowing, all that is great. Or, apply for any job within a police department just to get your foot in the door.

Good luck!

Re: Crime Scene Investigation/Medicolegal Death Investigator

Sknappa2s
I also think being involved in organizations will help you when you complete your degree.  Check out the American College of Forensic Examiners Institute.  It is not a college per se but it is an organization that certifies people in the forensic field. The phone number is 800-423-9731, ask for Shellie.

Re: Crime Scene Investigation/Medicolegal Death Investigator

James  Jones
Thank you your information really helped me I called today to and spoke to shellie and I'm starting the process for the CCI certification. I really appreciate it  I was starting to get discourage.

James Jones

Re: Crime Scene Investigation/Medicolegal Death Investigator

Sknappa2s
Hi James,

My name is Shellie.  I was wondering who you spoke with?  I don't remember speaking with you.

Re: Crime Scene Investigation/Medicolegal Death Investigator

James  Jones
Hello Shellie,

I called and spoke with Danielle in regards to the CCI certification. Today I spoke with Danielle to start the application process. So excited to start a new chapter in my life.

Thank You
James Jones

Re: Crime Scene Investigation/Medicolegal Death Investigator

Sknappa2s
That is so good.  You will find that being involved in the organization will jump start your future.

Re: Crime Scene Investigation/Medicolegal Death Investigator

James  Jones
Hello All,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words my CCI application is approved and now have my study material and i am beyond excited to start. Can't wait to learn and take the next steps in my career.

Thank You
James Jones