Crime Scene Investigator Training

Mark
I work for a small department in the Houston area.  I am trying to find a GOOD crime scene school to send one of my patrol officers, who will double as a crime scene tech.  I need a school that is a little longer than a week, and one that is in depth.  I have done numerous searches, and I have not found one that is hands on training.  Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Crime Scene Investigator Training

Mark—

I don't know about training in the Houston area, but a very good, hands-on, two-week course is offered to law enforcement in Southern California. They accept students from all over the country. I taught in the course for over 20 years and believe it is one of the best in the country. It is the FIELD EVIDENCE TECHNICIAN COURSE - BASIC offered by the Center for Criminal Justice Research and Training at California Sate University at Long Beach. Tuition is $669.

The areas covered include:

  • Introduction to Physical Evidence
  • Legal Aspects of Physical Evidence
  • Theory and Technique of Crime Scene Search
  • Crime Scene and Evidence Photography
  • Casting and Reproduction of Impressions, Tool Marks, and prints
  • Fingerprints: Recovery, Classification and Preservation
  • Blood and other Physiological Fluids
  • Physical Evidence in Death Investigations
  • Hair, Fibers, Soils and Other Trace Evidence
  • Firearms Distance Determination
  • Gunshot Residue Collection

The course will ends with a practical exercise with the participants divided into teams to investigate a realistic crime scene. Team members present all their findings the last day to a District Attorney and Criminalist who critique their work. This is a true judge of how well the participants have learned the skills and techniques given in the course.

They can be contacted via Email: centers-criminaljustice@csulb.edu or telephone: (562) 985-4940

Mark wrote
I work for a small department in the Houston area. I am trying to find a GOOD crime scene school to send one of my patrol officers, who will double as a crime scene tech. I need a school that is a little longer than a week, and one that is in depth. I have done numerous searches, and I have not found one that is hands on training. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Crime Scene Investigator Training

John
I would look at FLETC (Fedreal Law Enforcement Training Center) Glynco Georgia.  They offer two classes, the Advanced Forensic Techniques in Crime Scene Investigation 1 and 2.  They are 2 weeks each.  I have attended both and can definitely say they know their stuff.  They also have trainings locally throughout the US.  Hope this helps and good luck.