Crime Scene Investigator- need some help

Crime Scene Investigator- need some help

Melissa
Hello,

I graduated with my MS in Criminal Justice in 2013, and I have a BA in Psychology. I really want to be a Crime Scene Investigator, but I am not sure what classes/steps I need to take to do so. I live in NYC, so I feel like there would be an ample amount of jobs out here to apply to. Do I need a BA in Forensic Science?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: Crime Scene Investigator- need some help

Elizabeth
If you work in NY, you would need to be a police officer for X years before becoming CSI. I know, I lived in NY when I got my CSI degree. Most states on the east coast require you to be a sworn officer. You would have to go to Maryland then south and / or west. Degrees honestly won't help you, you'll need experience to get a job, but you can't get a job without experience. The WORST catch 22 in the world!

Anyway, apply for internships at a morgue or something similar, or even any job in a police department. Get your foot in the door, then you can become a CSI. It's tough. It took me 87 applications cross country, 1 year 9 months, and 2,100 miles for me to get my first job.

Good luck!

Re: Crime Scene Investigator- need some help

Sknappa2s
I also think being involved in organizations will help you when you complete your degree.  Check out the American College of Forensic Examiners Institute.  It is not a college per se but it is an organization that certifies people in the forensic field. The phone number is 800-423-9731, ask for Shellie.