Crime Scene-Related Field Before Graduation?

Crime Scene-Related Field Before Graduation?

Tina Marie
Does anyone know agencies in the Central Florida area that will hire forensic science majors before graduation? I'm not expecting an investigator job, but I would like to start working in a field closer to where I'm wanting to be. I'm a little over half way done with my degree. I'm newly unemployed and would like to find a position that is more beneficial to my future.

Re: Crime Scene-Related Field Before Graduation?

Wilson CSI
I'll be straight up.  It is hard to even get a foot into this field.  I seen many students after graduation struggle for years after graduation to even get a job.  All I can say apply everywhere and be willing to move. The students I seen do the best getting into this career have biology or chemistry degrees.   Not saying it is impossible but be prepared to do what you need to if you really want it.

Re: Crime Scene-Related Field Before Graduation?

Tina—

Occasionally there are CSI jobs posted in Florida that do not require a degree. One example is a current opening for a "Crime Scene Analyst" (CSI) with the Haines City (Florida) Police Department.

Also there are sometimes related jobs such as Evidence Custodian or Property Officer. Check the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network.

You can sign up for a daily email of new CSI and Forensic Science job postings. The email alerts go out Monday through Friday and have 10 to 15 new jobs each day. Or you can sign up on twitter and receive the new job post alerts that way. Sign up at http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/jobalerts.html

Volunteer work with different agencies will be helpful in preparing for a CSI job.

I like what EFB wrote in a previous post:

    I started in Dispatch to get my foot in the door. We have fully qualified people volunteering with us now just to get that much needed experience. IF you decide to go that route, treat every day like it is a job interview. They/We are watching your work ethic and dedication that you put forth. Once that job opening does come along, they already know you and know your capabilities. You will not be allowed to touch or handle evidence. You will shuffle alot of paper and do menial tasks. Do it with a smile knowing you are getting the experience that will open alot of other doors. With that said, we are a small community where everyone knows everyone else....so show them nothing but your best. Good luck!

That is good advice!

Re: Crime Scene-Related Field Before Graduation?

Tina Marie
Thank you! I applied for the one in Haines City like a week ago but the position was already filled. I'll try other positions in the departments in the area to try. I just don't want to end up not getting a job in this field because it honestly is the only career I can see myself sticking with.