Crime Scene Technician Interview

amandawbu
Hi, I'm a senior in high school and I need to interview a Crime Scene Technician for my career project. It would be amazing if someone could help me out! The questions I will be asking are below

What was school like? How long did it take? What was your Major?

Did you need any experience prior to the job?

How well did school prepare you for the job?

What are the benefits of having the job?

What is the worst part of the job?

What is a typical day at work?

What kind of skills do you use daily?

If you can change anything about your education/experience choices what would it be?

What is the work place environment?

Do you enjoy going to work?

Jay

Re: Crime Scene Technician Interview

Jay
Amanda: If you still need help with this, email the questions to me at jolson@carson.org and I'll get the responses written up.

Re: Crime Scene Technician Interview

Elizabeth
What was school like? How long did it take? What was your Major?
I went to school for 4 years. The first two got me an associates degree in criminal justice. The second two were hands on classes, learning how to fingerprint, interview, find graves and remove bodies, how to identify and collect evidence. This got me a bachelors degree in criminal investigations.

Did you need any experience prior to the job?
Yes. I applied to 85 police agencies across the country for 1 year 9 months before I got my job. I had 6 months of "field" experience, but that wasn't good enough to actually get hired anywhere interesting.

How well did school prepare you for the job?
My degree was perfect prep for my job. My last semester I had to do a 6 month internship with an actual crime scene unit. By the 5th week, they were letting me process scenes on my own with no supervision.

What are the benefits of having the job?
I think the biggest benefit is knowing you helped someone.

What is the worst part of the job?
At my department, I work 8am - 5pm Monday - Friday. I am also on a 24 hour call. I could potentially work a few days straight with no sleep if we were ever busy enough.

What is a typical day at work?
During the week, it's usually paperwork and processing evidence that our patrol CSIs bring in from smaller cases. I only work major crime scenes, so burglaries, and other small things are handled by patrol.

What kind of skills do you use daily?
Writing, organization, fingerprinting, DNA swabbing. I am also certified to forensically examine cell phones.

If you can change anything about your education/experience choices what would it be?
I don't think I would change anything about my education, but I would like to be in a busier department, so I can get more experience.

What is the work place environment?
I don't understand this question?

Do you enjoy going to work?
I love my job, but again, I just wish I could do it in a busier department.