Crime Scene tech employment opportunities!! Hands-on Training???

Crime Scene tech employment opportunities!! Hands-on Training???

sandra
This post was updated on .
Hi everyone,

I have a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice through the CSU system (class of 2013) and I am hoping to be hired on as a crime scene tech. However, I've noticed these positions require the applicant to already know how to lift prints, collect evidence, & photograph crime scenes. I'm in Northern California and the only training I found is the certificate program offered at the City college of San Francisco. I've been applying for entry level crime scene tech positions, but I haven't seen "trainee" level positions where agencies offer the training once hired. I've searched forensic education programs,but everything is text book learning.So, my question is where can I get the hands-on training to learn the functions of a crime scene tech?

Re: Crime Scene tech/latent fingerprint tech/forensic evidence tech

Courtney
Hey there- I recently graduated with my BS in forensic science and the program focused heavily on chemistry. To get the hands on experience I completed a 400 hour CSI internship. Most will be unpaid but you will get hands on experience in photography, fingerprint development, fingerprint lifting, and more! Look at local sheriff's offices or county agencies near you. Good luck!

Re: Crime Scene tech employment opportunities!! Hands-on Training???

—Sandra

Having a degree in Criminal Justice is good, but as you have found you need a little more training to meet many agencies' requirements and stand out from all the other applicants competing for a CSI job.

You could attend a Crime Scene Investigation Certificate Program to receive CSI specific training. There is the one you mentioned in San Francisco. Another such program is the Crime Scene Investigation Certificate offered at the University of California in Riverside, California. The next summer program runs from July 6 through August 7, 2015. (The University has resources for housing for out of town students.) I teach in the program and believe it is one of the best programs of its kind. We have had students from all over the United States. Many who have received the CSI Certificate have been successful in becoming employed as a CSI. They also have a year-round program but it takes most students 1 1/2 to 2 years to complete the certificate that way.

http://www.extension.ucr.edu/academics/summer/crime_scene.html

Other programs can be found at http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi-campusbasedschools.html

A few other thoughts:

Volunteer work with different agencies will be helpful. Sometimes you can find an agency that will let you work as a volunteer or intern in the CSI Unit.

Here is a tip if you are having trouble getting a CSI job: Apply for a "related" job, such as a Forensic Autopsy Technician, Evidence Custodian, Property Officer, Community Service Officer, etc. This can be a way to "get your foot in the door" or gain on-the-job experience that will help in getting the job you want later.