Crime scene tech/ forensics

Stephany s
I'm just starting keiser to get my AS to become a crime scene tech and later on to further my education to be a forensics. My question is do they both have a set time of working or will I have to be called randomly to work or go back into work. I really feel like this is for me but then again I would want to have kids and build a family would this job take too much of my time ?

Re: Crime scene tech/ forensics

Stephany—

If you are a Crime Scene Investigator you will be on-call. If there are multiple CSIs on a department, the on-call responsibilities are usually rotated so there would be days you would not be on-call. The number of call-outs varies. Some departments have very few call-outs while others have many. But yes, you can expect to be called out at the most inconvenient times. It helps to have an understanding family.

If you work in a forensics lab you may not have to be on-call. Many labs have a few employees who are on-call for special cases, but usually not everyone is on-call.

Stephany s wrote

Like Steve said you are going to need a very understanding spouse and family.  I been doing crime scene work now for almost 11 years.  My on call range from everyother week to every third week depending on our staffing.  As for call outs during on call weeks I could be out every night of the week and all day on weekends.  But there are some on call weeks when I don't get called at all.  I missed birthdays, numerous holidays, anniversaries, Christmas, school activites, etc... It comes with the job.

Re: Crime scene tech/ forensics

Stephany s
What would you recommend? I want to have a big family but I want to do something interesting but I rather build a family than have a busy job

Re: Crime scene tech/ forensics

BioCleanse
Hey Stephany,
I understand your problem. Someone who is into forensics, crime scene clean-ups, has to be on their toes 24x7 and has to be available to report on duty anytime a call is given.

It is a stinky job but still the rewards are great.

Its a challenging job

Here you can check what what things you will need to do once you are in this field
http://bio-cleanse.com.au/