Debates within Forensics

Necia
I need to write a paper on a problem within the Forensics field and how I would change it. But I'm having trouble thinking of a topic. Are there any current debates on any forensic equipment or methods?

Re: Debates within Forensics

Adam
This isn't directly about forensic techniques or equipment, but there is controversy about DNA storage. Some people say that DNA collected from individuals who have not been arrested in order to eliminate them as suspects should be stored in databases along with the DNA of convicts. Others say the DNA information should not be stored because it was only collected to eliminate them in that one case.

Re: Debates within Forensics

Dave
There is a HUGE issue in the world of latent print examinations & examiners in regards to procedures, statistics, error rates, etc.  That subject would keep you busy forever.

Re: Debates within Forensics

Necia--

How about the backlog of DNA cases. There are several articles on this website regarding that issue. Check: DNA Articles.

Another topic might be the unanalyzed evidence in sexual assault cases. The National Institute of Justice has released a special report, "The Road Ahead: Unanalyzed Evidence in Sexual Assault Cases." This report examines the issue of untested sexual assault kits ("SAKs" - often referred to as "rape kits") found in police evidence rooms, a problem that jurisdictions nationwide are struggling to solve. As the country grapples with the discovery of thousands of older sexual assault kits, it is important that approaches to this problem balance justice, public safety and the victims' needs. This report highlights issues that must be examined in order to develop lasting solutions, such as how law enforcement determines whether a SAK should be sent to the crime lab for analysis and when (and if) victims should be notified when a jurisdiction discovers their untested SAK. The report also examines the complex issues regarding protocols for sending SAKs to the lab for analysis, triaging cases for analysis and determining appropriate police follow-up, and notifying victims about the discovery of their untested SAK. This report addresses the nationwide need to move beyond "crisis management" to the adoption of systematic practices, procedures and protocols that will prevent this problem from happening in the future.

Necia wrote
I need to write a paper on a problem within the Forensics field and how I would change it. But I'm having trouble thinking of a topic. Are there any current debates on any forensic equipment or methods?

--Steve