Designating a crime scene as a Major Crime Scene, NYC

Designating a crime scene as a Major Crime Scene, NYC

Idrian
I'm a writer. The crime in my story takes place at an isolated subway entrance in Queens NY late at night. "Noises" are reported by a neighbor; otherwise no witnesses. Victim is black male 25 well dressed. Unconscious as a result of a brutal beating. Wallet gone. Precinct receives call and sends patrol car. Officers call ambulance. My questions are: (1) who sends detectives? (2) do they come from the precinct or from the Detective Bureau at NYPD Headquarters at 1 Police Plaza? (3) who defines such a crime as a "major crime?" (4) My detectives (wherever they come from) are lazy and cynical and classify the assault as a "mugging".  Does that remove the definition of the scene as a Major Crime Scene?

Re: Designating a crime scene as a Major Crime Scene, NYC

Guest
They are sent from the precinct closest to the crime. It's a jurisdiction thing.