Digital Photo Forensic Question

Apsey8014
Hello Everyone,

I am currently working on finishing my degree in Security & Intelligence majoring in Network Security and Digital Forensics.  At this time I am working on a thesis for school and could use some help on where to start with the ideas I have.  So I figured why not ask the experts what they think and know.

My question that I am looking at can be broken down in to a few areas; to begin I am wanting to know how much is digital photos (other then - CP or KP) effecting the way forensic cases are being done and what type of new procedures (if there are procedures for it) are being implemented for casing and reviewing these photos.  The next question I am wondering is how often are the tricks that I learn and study on for Photo Forensics (digital) are being used by the criminal sections - i.e. Steganography, Modifications, Geotagging, and EXIF data changes.

The final questions for this study I am doing would be more of a opinionated question; where do you see digital forensics heading, both digital media, photos, computers, and with the way people can hide or change information?

These are some of the questions that I would very much like to get an expert in the field of Digital forensics and/or Photo Forensics to help out with.

My name is Steve and please contact me with any helpful insights that you may have. (989) 370-0657.  Thank you for your help.
Best Regards,

Steven Apsey
Ferris State University
ApseyS@Ferris.edu
(989) 370-0657

Re: Digital Photo Forensic Question

Steven—

There is good information on this website on the Articles page and the Crime Scene and Evidence Photography page. Some of it includes:

Re: Digital Photo Forensic Question

Dan078968
Well, your post interestes me, unfortunatly I can't answer your question as I don't have the knowledge! However you may be interested to know that i'm currently facing allegations of a serious nature, all of which are the cause of somebody producing an odd image to the police, that was one year ago and the image is still admissable, I'm not sure if it's an optical illusion or trick of the light or someone has done what you're saying?

I'm instructing experts to look at the image, I feel tricked omongst other things.