Documenting the crime scene

M Rector
Just trying to get an idea of what forms of crime scene documentation are used by various agencies currently; is the traditional method of sketching still prevalent or have few/many adopted "total station" type methods?

Re: Documenting the crime scene

Wilson CSI
The majority of the time we still do sketching.  But for large outdoor scenes with a lot of evidence we will use a total station to document the scene.

Re: Documenting the crime scene

Elizabeth
My agency uses sketching on bigger cases, which are then moved into a CAD program when we get back to the office. But on every case, no matter what it is we use photography. Photographs capture the moment exactly as it is, undisturbed, and is the best way to capture the moment.
EFB

Depending on the crime, we do a little of everything.  Sketching and hand measurements for smaller scenes.  We use Total Station as well.  We have just recently purchased the Faro 3D Laser Mapping system.  For those not familiar, Total Station will do one measurement at a time.  3D Laser Mapping will do 12 million measurement a minute with an error rate of under 2 mm.  Those cloud points are then put into a computer program called "Scene" and rendered 3D.  Its an amazing technology that I am very happy to have.

Re: Documenting the crime scene

Wilson CSI
Wish my agency would get 3D laser mapping.