Dream Goal

Martinez
Hello,
I graduated from college in December of 2014 and received a Bachelors in Forensic science/Biochemistry. I have been looking for employment and have been applying, within the field, but haven't had any luck. My ultimate goal to become a toxicologist. The jobs that I have applied for in the past require some form of experience. What should I do to step up my game and be able to find a job that will benefit me in the long run? What jobs should I look for to better my chances of becoming a toxicologist?

Thanks!

Re: Dream Goal

Daniel
I am in forensic field of firearms.  I would say if you can land an internship, that will get you some hands-on experience that could help tremendously as that could also provide you with a reference from a qualified examiner in your field.  If not, a job that will get you experience with the instrumentation used will also help.  There are master's programs out there that could also help increase your chances but can be really costly.  I did not have any previous professional experience in forensics when I obtained my position, but I did go the Master's route and had previous professional laboratory experience.  Additionally, I was a gun owner and had interned in my field prior to applying.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Re: Dream Goal

Martinez
Thanks for the information. How did you document being a gun owner?
The only lab experience with have is what I obtained when I was in school, but unfortunately there aren't many agencies that will count that as field experience. I have been thinking about getting my masters, but like you said, it pretty pricy.

Re: Dream Goal

CSIchick
To work as a Forensic Toxicologist(FT), one must obtain a PhD. No amount of internships will sufice. The FT must testify in court, must have the training and background to certify the tox results as factual. There is no room for any questionable results, a decent atty will tear you apart in court if you do not have the proper qualifications as a Toxicologist. Remember, your results as a FT can send an innocent defendant to prison or worse.
 Plan on at least 3-5 years of post undergrad education in persuit of a PhD in Toxicology. Good luck.

Re: Dream Goal

Sknappa2s
I also think being involved in organizations will help you when you complete your degree.  Check out the American College of Forensic Examiners Institute.  It is not a college per se but it is an organization that certifies people in the forensic field. The phone number is 800-423-9731, ask for Shellie.