Electrostatic Dust Lifter

CSIjoe
I have used an electrostatic dust lifter to get shoe prints off a tile floor. I was wondering, can it be used to get shoe prints or tire tracks off a body?
Physical evidence cannot be wrong, it cannot perjure itself, it cannot be wholly absent. Only human failure to find it, study and understand it, can diminish its value. - Edmond Locard

Re: Electrostatic Dust Lifter

Yes, it can be done. Check out the article "Lifting Dusty Shoe Impressions from Human Skin: A Review of Experimental Research from Colorado" posted at:
http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/ShoeImpressionSkin.html

Other articles have been written regarding electrostatic dust lifting. For a list see:
http://www.redwop.com/reference_index.asp?search=electrostatic&order=ID

Just remember, due to the high voltage used for this technique you can't do it on live people (they would be sure to complain) just use it on cadavers.

Re: Electrostatic Dust Lifter

Hotwired

Steve Staggs wrote
Just remember, due to the high voltage used for this technique you can't do it on live people (they would be sure to complain) just use it on cadavers.
The images this part of your post conjures up in my mind... "they would be sure to complain" Cheered me up after a long rainy day at work.

I have seen people thrown across a room by not observing good technique with these devices.