Employment?

CP

Employment?

CP
Hi guys,

I need some advice.  I graduated last May with a B.S. in Forensic Science.  I am currently looking for employment and have applied to many places with thousands of dollars down the drain for travel.  I've already completed an internship with the M.E.'s office but some of the directors I've talked to say I need more "experience" in a crime lab.  I finally got approval to volunteer in the forensic department in the police where I live, and can volunteer only 1 day a week because I still have to work to make my student loan payments.  It's kind of my goal to be working in California, especially Los Angeles but wouldn't mind working on the West Coast.  First question, how long after volunteering at the police department should I start applying for jobs?  Second question, how likely would it be that I end up in LA, CA, or the West Coast?  How unrealistic is it?  Is there anything more I can do to help my resume?  What are some other types of jobs that I should consider if this doesn't work out?  How much time would you give it before hanging up the towel?  Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Re: Employment?

Maryann
I had a very similar issue when I graduated from school, and I have now been in the field for 4 years.  Alot of the jobs that seemed"Easier" to get were on the east coast, and they pay very poorly.  People I have met in the field(civilan) for the most part, seem to take a major pay cut for thier first job.  Once you get 2 years expierence in, you will have more of a open job market.  I recently moved to CO and looked at several posisitions in California, many I(with 3 years and a M.S. in Forensics) could not get.  You may want to look into Investigator Posisitions for the Medical Examiner or Corner.  These jobs pay poorly, but some you only need a high school dimploma.  It will be a good resume builder.

Re: Employment?

Jay O.
I understand your frustration.  I graduated in December 2008 with a B.A. in Criminal Justice, specializing in Criminalistics.  I'm finishing up an M.S. in Criminal Justice, specializing in Forensic Science, and will be done in August.  While I'm waiting for my final class to start, I am completing a Forensic Science certificate program through the American Institute of Applied Science.  Since before I graduated with my B.A. and until now, I've filled out over 250 applications and, like you, have spent an ungodly amount of money traveling for interviews, tests, etc.  However, I do not have any experience through interning or volunteering.  The field is tough, and I don't see it getting any easier.  I thought for sure I would have a career job after 3 1/2 years, but no dice.  I haven't given up though, and I don't suggest you do either.  I have applied for several positions in CA and, for the most part, have been invited for testing.  Unfortunately, it isn't cheap to fly out there for a test--only to go back if I test high enough and land an interview.  Consequently, I have turned down those opportunities.  Best of luck to you, and please let us know if you discover the answer to the hiring problem.

Re: Employment?

keysha
Well my question is to all of you, is the Crime Scene/Forensics field a rewarding field to be in? Because I'm seriously considering it. Also too, what would be a good school to attend for this field( I'm in GA). And last but not least, is it safe to take such a tedious and hand-on program online?

Re: Employment?

Darren Banks
Hi guys I have been looking for an job for quite some time now. I have an A. S in crime-scene invesgation. I am finding it hard to get an job. I live in the Orlando fl area. If I have to relocate that is fine, but I am trying to stay in Florida. I am working on an B.S in criminal justice,but I am very upset due to to fact I can not finish. I am all taped out of money. loans that is.  Does any one have any ideals as to how I can finish college. I have a year left. It sure would mean a lot to me. Thanks Darren. My email is conan673@hotmail.com

Re: Employment?

possible_i.g.
reading all these posts is kinda discouraging... ive thought about csi work a while, always watched the varying shows, and thought to google 4 some insight. kinda depressing. well, i think ive just got my backup plan 4 my career though-i will pursue this on the side along with my 4irst love- art. thank you i was at a standstill with that as well :)

Re: Employment?

Scottay
I agree with the last comment. Everyones posts are very discouraging, especially the post made by the person with masters degree. I've got a BS in Civil Engineering but due to the fact that construction has been hit so hard by the economic downturn I'm considering going back for a BS in Chemistry with a focus in crime lab forensics.

Is the poor job market for CSI or Crime Lab Analysts due to the crummy economy or is this just the general nature of the business, regardless of the economic climate?

Re: Employment?

Alikatt
I am a supervisor of a civilian crime scene unit on the east coast, and we often have a difficult time finding good candidates.  We interview dozens of people that do fairly well on the oral boards.  They fail the written exam.  Not so much the forensic knowledge, but basic English mechanics!  Applicants with a Master's degree cannot construct a proper sentence, spell, or use proper punctuation.

An important part of crime scene work is the report detailing the work you did.  You have to be able to write!  I can teach you to be a CSI, but I can't teach you basic English skills.

For those of you who are still in school, make sure your writing skills are up to par.