Employment

Gabriel
I have my associates degree in criminal investigations, and I been having a difficult time trying get hired with different agencies. I had lots of hands on experience at my school and have placed that information on my résumé, but each time I apply I get rejected. I would like to know if I do volunteer work with different agencies will that help my chances of employment as a crime scene technician? Will working as a security officer help? I would appreciate any suggestions and feedback.

Re: Employment

Gabriel—

Volunteer work with different agencies could be helpful.

Here is a tip if you are having trouble getting a job: Apply for a "related" job, such as a Forensic Autopsy Technician, Evidence Custodian, Property Officer, Community Service Officer, etc. This can be a way to "get your foot in the door" or gain on-the-job experience that will help in getting the job you want later. There are many "related" jobs listed on the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many of them are entry level jobs.

Often an issue is the competition. Sometimes you are qualified but don't quite "ace" the interview so they select someone else who came across better in their interview.

Check out these two articles regarding preparing for interviews:

There are over 250 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs.

To get in this career field you may find you need to move to a different location to get an entry level job. But once you have worked a while in that entry level position you will have the experience required for other jobs.

—Steve

Gabriel wrote