Entering this field

Angelica
I am currently working towards my BS in Computer Forensics at AIU. Is there any positions that would allow me to make a start in this field since I have no experience such as volunteering?

Re: Entering this field

Angelica—

There appear to be many computer forensic jobs available, especially in the private sector. I have seen one recently that was for an "IT Security College Intern" at HP that would give someone valuable experience.

I saw this on a Computerworld blog:

Hot job: Computer forensics grads can get six-figure salaries

Computer forensics graduates have been in high demand for jobs with law enforcement since the field first appeared, but that demand is growing even larger as private firms begin recruiting cyber investigators, according to Marcus K. Rogers, an associate professor who heads the computer forensics program in Purdue University's College of Technology. Starting salaries in the field can range as high as $85,000 to $100,000. Rogers says:

"Our seniors and graduate students in computer forensics are being recruited for law enforcement and private-industry jobs all over the country. They are getting multiple job offers, and the starting packages are growing each year. There is huge competition to hire anyone with expertise in this field."

Companies are hiring computer forensics experts to root out employees using office computers for a range of crimes from harassment and fraud to child pornography and embezzlement.

The future challenge is to verify who is truly qualified to work in the field, Rogers says. So Purdue and other universities are working to establish standards for computer forensics equipment and training.

As far a employment in law enforcement I don't know much about the job possibilities, or internships. You can always call agencies and find out what they have available.

The last agency I worked at participated in a "County Computer Forensics Task Force" consisting of employees of many of the agencies in the county. The IT person for our police department was made a member of the task force. So when investigations involving computer forensics were done he would assist with the forensic work on hard drives, cell phones, etc. Other members of the task force included detectives and an assistant district attorney.

So, one way to get into computer forensics at a police department would to get hired in the IT department and then ask to help with investigations.

Right now the private sector is probably a better source for entry level jobs. After getting experience in the private sector you could perhaps move into government on the local, state or federal level. There are some great computer forensics jobs with the FBI, CIA and others.

Angelica wrote
I am currently working towards my BS in Computer Forensics at AIU. Is there any positions that would allow me to make a start in this field since I have no experience such as volunteering?

Re: Entering this field

Shelley Watson
There are immense scope for computer forensic graduates nowadays especially like ethical hacking, e mail tracing, cyber security etc. These kind of job profiles are available with every big company today. But if you are thinking seriously to make a start in this career then go for computer forensic analyst job. More details about this position is given in the site http://www.cs.sjsu.edu/jobs/eforinc.htm
I hope this would give you an idea about how to start and what to do. Good Luck!!
Genius is seldom recognized for what it is: a great capacity for hard work.