FED UP!!

byanke
Recieved my Associates degree with HONORS in Latent Evidence....have been applying for jobs for over 2 yrs now.....haven't gotten anywhere!!!  Please explain to me how the HELL I am suppose to get the experience if NO ONE will HIRE without Experience!??! Feel like I have wasted my time and money....on to another DEAD END JOB!!!!!

Re: FED UP!!

Joe
I wish I could help you my friend but I'm in the exact same boat. I have an Associates in Criminal Investigations and a Bachelors in Forensic Sciene and I can't get a foot in the door. Can't get a job because I don't have any experience because I can't get a job...I'm way beyond frustrated. I'm up to my eyeballs in a debt that will probably follow me to my grave...why the hell did I do this just to bartend for a living?

Re: FED UP!!

Forensic and Crime Scenes can be a very very hard field to get into.   Only suggestions I could make is take classes on your own such as more advance latents, crime scenes, etc... Some private companies teach these classes for people outside of law enforcement.  The only other things is apply apply apply and be willing to move.

Re: FED UP!!

byanke—

There are over 250 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs.

Volunteer work with different agencies will be helpful.

Here is a tip if you are having trouble getting a job: Apply for a "related" job, such as a Forensic Autopsy Technician, Evidence Custodian, Property Officer, Community Service Officer, etc. This can be a way to "get your foot in the door" or gain on-the-job experience that will help in getting the job you want later.

Another issue is the competition. Sometimes you are qualified but don't quite "ace" the interview so they select someone else who came across better in their interview.

Check out these two articles regarding preparing for interviews:

To get in this career field you may find you need to move to a different location to get an entry level job. But once you have worked a while in that entry level position you will have the experience required for other jobs.

byanke wrote
Recieved my Associates degree with HONORS in Latent Evidence....have been applying for jobs for over 2 yrs now.....haven't gotten anywhere!!! Please explain to me how the HELL I am suppose to get the experience if NO ONE will HIRE without Experience!??! Feel like I have wasted my time and money....on to another DEAD END JOB!!!!!

Re: FED UP!!

Greg
Start applying for Police jobs at an agency with a Crime Scene Unit that uses commissioned investigators.  Work as a street Officer for a bit.  Spend a few years doing hands on investigations and developing a more practical resume.  You will get the chance to work a lot of thefts, car break ins, vandalism and such. Then apply within your Department when an opening comes up. I think it makes you more rounded investigator but I may be prejudiced since I went that route.

Re: FED UP!!

abjames28
I am almost in the same boat as these guys, what it boils down 2 is the not everyone wants to be a hero and be an office, some of us have health problems that prevent us from being able to run after or apprehend a suspect.