For People in the Forensic Science Field

For People in the Forensic Science Field

ForensicOne2be
Hi. I posted a similar msg. on the regular board but I don't know if Forensic Science people read those msgs. or not. So I'm posting one here too.
I'm 54 yrs. old, and 2 & 1/2 yrs. into an A.A. & A.S. degree in Criminology and General Transfer Studies. I'll graduate soon...before moving on toward my B.S degree in Forensic Science. I've been a firefighter [almost 9 yrs.; career ended, hurt on the job], worked at a state prison [almost 3 yrs.], worked as a civilian cop at an Air Force Base, and worked as a property mgmt. supervisor for a property mgmt. company for 7 yrs. Am I too old to be entering the Forensic Science field? I will be 57 or 58 yrs. old by the time I graduate with a B.S. degree. Will employers find useful elements from some of my previous jobs that can be incorporated into the job along with my forensic science degree? Will they note the extensive training I've had in previous jobs, especially as a firefighter? Will they consider my maturity and reliability as assets? I'm at a crossroads in my education & need to know if my intense interest in Forensic Science and eventual B.S. degree would gain me entrance into the field I so want to pursue. Can a few of you in forensic science who work as CSI's or lab techs or dept. heads tell me? I would most definitely appreciate all the input you could give me. Thank you.  ~Diana M.

Re: For People in the Forensic Science Field

No guarantees, it depends on where you apply, but I can tell you how many of us who hire personnel feel. Many employees these days move from job to job after just a few years. So we are usually happy when someone stays on the job for five or more years. If you are interviewed and you can assure them that you will stay with the agency for a minimum number of years, say 8 years, then they should be comfortable giving you serious consideration. Age can work in your favor-maturity is an asset. If your work history shows you have stayed in jobs for several years, and not just moved from job to job as the wind blows, then you should be alright. Also, showing how serious you are by getting degrees in the field will be a plus.