Forensic Biologist Career Advice

Cassandra Williams
I don't think I went about posting this correctly, but whoever gets it please feel free to respond.
 I am also trying to knock down the door to the forensic science world and I feel that as I progress academically I get further away from that goal. I am currently working on my Ph.D. in Cell and Molecular Biology at NYU and I have a total of 4 years intense laboratory experience. I have a BS degree in Cell Mol. Bio as well. From what I have gathered from most job postings, even though I have worked in genetics and immunology based labs I don't have the right experience. I have now hit a crossroads where I could leave the program with my masters and try to find a job (probably won't get one because I don't have experience working in a crime lab) or I could stay and still not have a job when I finish. My ultimate goal is to be a forensic biologist and a DNA technical leader. I am also interested in criminalistics and I was thinking of getting a masters in this while working on the Ph.D.  I can try to do an internship, but I can’t work anywhere while I work on the Ph.D.. In a nutshell I am completely confused as to what to do next. Do the online certificate programs help? Will I start at the bottom if I have a Ph.D. with just an internship? Will simultaneously getting a Masters degree help? Where can I find a mentor?  Please help.

Re: Forensic Biologist Career Advice

MarciF
Seems like you are more than qualified for an entry level position.  What type of job descriptions have you been looking at or are you interested in?

Re: Forensic Biologist Career Advice

Cassandra Williams
Mostly entry level. I just recently applied for a Forensic DNA analyst position in Ventura County. I wasn't considered for the job because I hadn't received my masters and I don't have any forensic experience. Once I get my masters I will meet the very minimum requirements. If I cont. with the PhD I wont ever have time to get any experience. I really don't know what to do.

Re: Forensic Biologist Career Advice

Shannon Marie
OMG,
Never stop. Your right on track. The devil seeks to destroy them that are where you are. My suggestion is to complete your masters, go down twice a week take names and phone numbers, bring coffee, be a part of getting to know the group. Perhaps your looking more towards DNA research, if you are apply with the CIA and FBI they are hiring right now, and it is a great time to complete your degree, and then,... go for your doctorate. Yes, doctorates are hard. But if they were easy everyone would have one. There are three levels in forensics. You have t get expierence somewhere even if it is in internship. Go speak with the HR dept. Talk to the county, ask for interviews, take names and numbers and references with you.
Never stop dreaming, or learning,
You may some day find the cure for cancer. On a more personal note, you may be the only one to save another s life. If you don't do it, it wont get done.
Words to ponder.
Shannon Marie