Forensic Help

Anthony
Hi Everyone,

My name is Anthony a Swedish native in my final year/semester of forensic studies at my university in London (United Kingdom). During my time of study I have always had great aspirations of pursuing a career in forensic toxicology or marks and traces in the forensic field in the United States. Unfortunately, I have had troubles finding information as to how this can be accomplished. I stumbled upon this forum and thought I'd ask if someone could be of help and guide me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Forensic Help

Anthony—

It is definitely possible, but first you must have legal status to work in the United States.

To work as a non-permanent resident in the United States you would have to find an employer who will sponsor you for a temporary worker visa for a job opening they have. Since there are a lot of USA citizens applying for the CSI and forensic jobs, it will be difficult for you to get an agency to go to the trouble of sponsoring you unless you have a lot of experience or a specialty they really want. And most agencies want career employees, not temporary workers.

Another way to work legally in the United States would be to get a Green Card (Permanent Residence). It is possible to get a Green Card through a job offer. (You may be eligible to become a permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States. Most categories require an employer to get a labor certification and then file a Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, for you.)

Many agencies in the United States include the following in their job announcements: "Foreign Education: Applicants who have completed part or all of their education outside the U.S. must have their foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is equivalent to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S. This evaluation must be a course-by-course evaluation that includes each completed course/subject and the U.S. credit equivalent. Applicants must submit (2) copies of the credential evaluations to the address noted above by the deadline. For a listing of services that can perform this evaluation, see the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services website at http://www.naces.org/members.htm."

Meanwhile, here is a listing of over 400 Crime Scene Investigator and Forensic Scientist jobs in the United States (the most complete listing on the internet).

Re: Forensic Help

Anthony
Hi,

Amazing! Thank you for the much needed information! Now I know which direction to head in and hopefully it works out.