Forensic Science Student

Posted by stbs247 stbs247
Hello I am undergraduate forensic science student and I was wondering what are some tips or pointers I could have to be more competitive in the forensic science field, such as possible internships or maybe even conferences I could attend. Thank you in advance for any help

R R

Re: Forensic Science Student

Definitely apply for lab internships.  There is so much to learn that books just can't teach you.  Most labs will require junior or senior status to qualify for one.  Start applying your junior year if you can, as obtaining one can be competitive too.  Employers look for experience when hiring, which can be tough to get fresh out of college.  An internship becomes critical in gaining relevant experience.

The American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS), International Association of Identification (IAI), and the Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners (AFTE) all have annual conferences that include workshops, seminars, and poster presentations. Most allow student or non-member registration as far as I know.  I believe AAFS still offers discounted registration to non-members who volunteer while attending.  IAI also has state divisions that may have their own conferences too.