Forensic Tech Photo Practical in three days

Forensic Tech Photo Practical in three days

Meagan
I'm competing for only one spot with our Sheriff's Department.  I was number three last time and have learned a lot since, but....I was practicing photographing a firearm the other day and was reminded that cross-lighting to bring out detail of the piece of evidence, here the firearm, created a shadow on the surface it was sitting on.  The last time I tested, we could take multiple images as long as we did not exceed a given total and given time frame.

Who will score better, the one who gets the detail of the firearm and solves the shadow problem by taking two images at different lighting angles or the one who takes one image with no shadows, but slight loss of detail of the firearm?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Forensic Tech Photo Practical in three days

Wilson CSI
If you have mulitple shots you can take, I would do a couple of firearm with different lighting angles to capture all the details for the firearm.  Then do ones to solve the shadow problem even though it could lose some details on the firearm

Re: Forensic Tech Photo Practical in three days

Meagan—

When photographing evidence, the detail in the evidence is the most important part of the phonograph. An evidence photograph must show important detail clearly, and the that detail must be in sharp focus.

So, of the two possibilities you suggest, "the one who gets the detail of the firearm and solves the shadow problem by taking two images at different lighting angles" would be the winner. The one with "slight loss in the detail" would be the looser.

Meagan wrote