Forensic Training Certificates

Jackie
I was wondering if anyone knows of any places that offer forensic training sessions. I will be graduating in May and feel like attending more training sessions could be beneficial. For example, I was looking for places that offer the 40 hour basic fingerprint comparison training to help with latent print job positions.

Re: Forensic Training Certificates

Jackie—

I think you are right. Having a degree is good, but a certificate for more specialized training will make you more marketable.

Off hand I don't know of any 40 hour basic fingerprint comparison courses open to individuals who are not already employed by an agency.

There are programs that focus just on Crime Scene Investigations. One such program is the Crime Scene Investigation Certificate Program offered at the University of California. (It includes a course on fingerprint and impression evidence where fingerprint comparison is covered — but fingerprint comparison is just part of the 20 hour fingerprint and impression evidence class.) They have a Summer Academy in which you can receive specialized training in Crime Scene Investigations and receive a certificate upon successful completion of the program. The Summer Academy starts in July each year and runs for five weeks. People come from all over the United States for the five week training. More information: Crime Scene Investigation Summer Certificate Program.

Jackie wrote

Jay

Re: Forensic Training Certificates

Jay
Jackie, I agree with Steve in that any extra certifications will help.  This is a difficult field to get into, so anything that will put you above the rest is going to be worth it.  That being said, it's true that many training providers cater to those already employed at an agency, but I took an intro fingerprint class from Ron Smith and Associates (ronsmithandassociates.com) and we had a student in there who was doing the same thing that you're looking into.  Take a look and best of luck.

Re: Forensic Training Certificates

lburton
You can contact IAI, International Associations of Identification. They offer varies training and certifications in several forensic discipline. You must be a member and attend as many conferences because the offer certificate courses as well.

Good Luck
Blueprint Camp

Re: Forensic Training Certificates

Sknappa2s
I also think being involved in organizations will help you with network opportunities.  Check out the American College of Forensic Examiners Institute.  It is not a college per se but it is an organization that certifies people in the forensic field. The phone number is 800-423-9731, ask for Shellie.